Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Superbaby and the Blood Draw

Yesterday I woke up anxious.  I was scared, nervous.  My oldest, E, was going to have blood drawn for the first time and I didn't know what to expect.  Before heading out to the park and the appointment I packed everything I could think of that I might need.  I had chicken fingers for lunch, extra juice, milk, a brownie to raise his blood sugar, books, fun flashcards, etc.  I even brought the backpack carrier in case I had to have his brother, Z, sit in it while the bloody thing went down.

Oy, I was nervous.  All though our time at the park, the walk to the lab, and while waiting, waiting, waiting.  Thankfully, Z fell asleep on the way to the lab.  When they finally called us Z woke up- of course.  He was really good though sitting in the stroller staring at another patient.  Me, I was a mess.  The phlebotomist wasn't too helpful.  She could've explained what was going to happen. Come on, we are talking about taking blood out of my first born some details would've been helpful.

So basically, I had to sit with E on my lap and immobilize his arm.  I tried to distract him and get him to look at his brother but my efforts were unnecessary.  I had wasted so much time being anxious and a jumble of nerves and when it came down to it E showed that he was superbaby after all.  He watched the whole blood draw and didn't move or cry.  Then he watched as the phlebotomist but a band-aid on him and for once he didn't try to rip it off.  I was so proud of him.  And so exhausted.  All that worrying tired me out.  I almost didn't have the energy to make it home.

In my mind I always tend to think of the WORST. POSSIBLE. SCENARIO.  I guess I should let up a bit, but it certainly seems like a mom trait.  Anyway, here's the star of the day- E:


No comments:

Post a Comment